Jennet Averett and George Washington Gill Averett


Aaron Averett lived in Virginia and fought during the Revolutionary War. The author does not remember the wife’s name but it is descendent to the Ray family. “My father, John Averett, was born on April 29, 1780 in Pitsylvania County, Virginia. He had one brother, Elijah, who was older. “Something my father did was being farmed out to a  ‘hatter’ trade. He turned away from that and he turned himself to boot making and wagon making.” He had a farm and always taught his boys to live the rural life. Some of boys, Elisha, Elijah, and John, learned to lay stone, and GWG Averett became wheel-right and gunsmith.


After my father was dead Elijah came into possession of the Averett estate. He held onto the estate when he moved to Missouri and married. However, soon his house he had burned and he had nothing to show for my father’s work.


After the birth of the author’s father, John genuinely moved to being untrue to him and they separated. The daughter of George and Jennett Hamilton Gill, Jannett Gill was born December 5, 1786 of Baron County, Kentucky and they were married May 1, 1806.


Soon he sent a partied out to look into the Tennessee wilds and the region of Cumberland and Duck Rivers. George Gill and my father all immigrated to Tennessee, father settled into Maury County.  Father and mother took the following children: Jennett, Elisha and Elijah (twins), Eliza, Sarah, Pyrenia, John, George, and a son who died, and Alexander.


It was 1828 and father look for a place in Illinois. They found one in White County, Illinois. They only remained a short time and they were in Hamilton County, Illinois. They were fine but could not wait to moved to another county in 1837 – Caldwell, Missouri. They did fencing, hauled a quality of house logs and had some hay. 


Jennet Averett was born in Maury County, Tennessee in 1809. There were concerns of the subjects of frontier life during her childhood and there were little known concerning her father at premarital time. She married Sam Kelsey who was a 2nd or 3rd cousin. They had born Thomas M. Kelsey. They moved with him to Hamilton, Illinois and then two or three town in Missouri. Missouri was on the western frontier. Jennet and her husband joined the church and they were driven to Illinois to participate.


Jennet was the mother of ten children, six of them living to maturity. She and the children came to Utah in 1851 and lived in Cottonwood for 9 years. Later they were in Springfield and the husband was back east.


“As I remember her in old age she was quite heavy, she probably weighed nearly two hundred pounds. As a girl in Tennessee she did not learn to wear a corset. She was one of the few who passed through the period when corsets were so popular with attempting to wear one….There was never anything fancy about her dresses.”  When Jennett was just a girl her mother taught her the art of Southern cooking. She continued to cook Southern style all of her life. “She rejoiced in the spring when turnips and mustard got big enough….A good supply of well cured pork…. And the smoke would was were they smoke and cured the pork. Cabbage was a favorite place on the table….As a small boy, I remember visiting at her home and when we left she usually gave mother something for the table. When cabbage was ripe she always gave a piece of bacon to cook with it….She always made salt rising bread.”


Jennet was always beloved by all who knew her and she had a generous disposition.   


George Washington Gill Averett was born in Maury County, Tennessee on January 20, 1824. He lived in his birth place until the year 1840. Then he and his family migrated to White County, Illinois and then Hamilton, Illinois. That spring George, with my mother and sister Pyremia and brother John M. Murray migrated, to Caldwell County, Missouri and settle on Shale Creek. This seemed to feel good: “turkey and prairie hens, quills, and a streams full of fish…wild fruit and nuts. This land seemed to be a choice land in very deed.”


However, soon the massacre hit and they mentioned that 17 bodies were burning and a few men that were left. Soon after that the mob grew more enraged. Some time in the fall of 1837 the Governor called out for Missouri to take the state militia to exterminate the Mormons. The leaders of the group had said that they would leave the state of Missouri. “My father left quite an improvement on his land, and my brothers Elisha and Elijah enduring may hardships.


In 1839 the family came to the church in Illinois. The father and mother, two sister and two brothers were barded there in McMullen Graveyard. In 1845 by father sold the land and lived there in Martinsburg where he was to die. In April 19, 1847 he sawed wood and cleaning up the land before taking sick around sunset and died in the late bedtime.